October Recap and Reset
Last month I decided that since it was my birthday on the 1st it would be the perfect time to start creating monthly goals. Kind of like mini-New Years resolutions except that I never make resolutions. So not SO much like that.
Anyways, there’s no point in making goals if you aren’t going to assess them at the end of the time period, so here goes.
FAIL. But not totally. My goals were:
1) By the end of the month I want to be running 3 miles every time I go out.
That didn’t happen, mostly because at the beginning of the month I totally slacked so I had to create a tight schedule that required not missing a single run to hit the goal, and required running every other night instead of 3 nights a week. I missed a couple of nights, resulting in not running 3 miles a night by the last week of October. I’m OK with the reasons I missed my goal runs though. One night I just ran a mile because the top of my feet had been hurting and I didn’t want to push it. I haven’t really tried to increase my distance since running barefoot and I also haven’t really run all that consistently so this was a big change for me. Another night I went for a walk with my sister’s 2 year old twins and held one or the other while racing to and from light posts, when I got back I was more tired than after a longer run!
What did happen is I ran at least 3 times a week without fail and I got up to 2.75 miles so I”ll be running 3 miles a night this week. Good enough for me!
2) Check my mail at least 3 times a week, then look and see what’s in it.
How about 2?
3) I’m getting myself out on the paddle board at least once this month.
Nope. I used to be able to take off from my uncle’s back yard and I’d go by myself. Since he moved I don’t have anywhere safe to go paddling by myself so not only do I have to get myself out there I have to get someone to kayak with me because I have no interest in being one of those why would someone do THAT news stories. Plus getting that board on top of the car (even if it is a little Prius) is hellacious after paddling a couple hours. I’m pretty sure it doubles it’s weight on the way home!
That wouldn’t be such a bad thing except I have so much (fun stuff) going on in November there’s no way I’ll have a chance to get out paddling. Maybe December?
4) At the end of this month I’m setting a new running goal for next month.
I’ve got this one!
1) My running goal is pretty light this month. I simply want to keep running at least 3 times a week and get up to 3.5 miles. This is because I need to start working out again, I don’t even remember the last time I did and the scale is showing it. If I increase my running AND start doing other workouts I’ll be less likely to hit any goals!
2) Those other workouts – core and arm workouts 3 times a week. I’m in the worst shape I’ve been in since I remember, time to get a little strength back. I have 3 obstacle runs in the next 6 weeks, I better get ready to get over those walls and up those ropes now!
3) Cook my lunches to bring to work all week. When I don’t get my lunches ready for the week on Sunday I end up buying it at some fast food place. Bad for my health and bad for my wallet!
4) Running drills and watching my form – I’ve decided to start checking in on the way I run more often, and also start doing some running drills. That way when I’m ready to start increasing my mileage a bit more my body will be more ready for it. That’s the theory anyways.
- New Month, New Year (kindazennish.com)
- A Goal Isn’t Enough! I need a Plan. (kindazennish.com)
Ahh I so want to try paddle boarding. Hopefully sometime… Although it’s getting a bit cold in NYC to venture out onto the Hudson River these days. 🙂
If you get a chance you have to try it! It’s really, really fun AND a great workout without even thinking about it.